The department supports the minerals sector to create jobs and attract investment to our regions.
Our role includes:
- regulating the sector and managing access to the earth resources of Victoria.
- supporting Victoria's quarry sector so the state has enough building materials for our infrastructure boom.
- facilitating the development of low-emission resources.
Strategies and initiatives
Extractive Resources Strategy
Victoria is growing fast and we need to build 2.2
million additional homes as well as new infrastructure such as schools,
hospitals and transport networks.
The state's first Extractive Resources Strategy will help Victoria grow.
Minerals Resources Strategy
Victoria's wealth was built on gold mining and the industry remains important to our economy, particularly in regional areas.
State of Discovery, the Mineral Resources Strategy 2018–2023, is focussed on helping grow investment and jobs in Victoria's minerals sector.
The Stavely Ground Release
An area, known in geographical terms
as the Stavely Arc, in Western Victoria has been released for minerals exploration.
The CarbonNet Project
The CarbonNet Project is investigating the potential for
establishing a world class, large-scale carbon capture and storage network.
Grants, awards, and scholarships
The TARGET minerals exploration initiative is a Victorian Government initiative
designed to increase investment in exploration for base metals and gold in
Divisional owners and entities
The Resources branch plays a key role
- regulating the resources industry to
effectively manage risks to the environment and community
- attracting and facilitating investment in
coal, gas, and mineral resources
- managing access to earth resources for current
and future use
- supporting investment in technological development
To help us do our work we partner with a range of
other government agencies and industry organisations.
Agreements with these organisations aid the
regulation of our resources sector in line with community and industry