The global space industry is forecast to be worth more than $1 trillion by 2040. With more than 100 space-related science and technology companies based here, Victoria is well positioned to coordinate national and international collaboration on space and attract global investment.
Melbourne has five top 500 globally ranked universities with relevant space related research disciplines and relationships with international space agencies. In addition, the engineering schools of our universities attract a broad range of industry leaders. This includes some of the world's biggest names in aerospace such as Lockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing and BAE Systems, which carry out aerospace research, development and manufacturing activity in Victoria.
Victoria also has a significant number of businesses with specialised space-related capability in research, design, engineering and manufacturing.
Victoria is home to the biggest aerospace event in the Southern Hemisphere. The Australian International Airshow is one of Asia-Pacific's leading industry events and is a showcase for Australia's world-class expertise in aviation, aerospace and defence. The 2017 Airshow attracted over 210,000 people, including 33,000 international delegates from 45 countries.
Victoria is also a leader in STEM education. For example, the Victorian Space Science Education Centre (VSSEC) is a specialist STEM learning facility designed to engage and inspire primary and secondary students in scientific learning and literacy. The only facility of its kind in Australia, it provides hands-on scenario-based science and mathematics experiences. VSSEC represents Australia on the International Space Education Board as one of eight participants including NASA, the European Space Agency and the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency.
- Recognised leader in STEM education at all levels, particularly the primary and secondary levels through the medium of space.
- Strong data analytics, advanced image processing and data visualisation capabilities.
- Significant expertise in cyber security, artificial intelligence and machine learning.
- Leading capabilities in space health sciences
- Exceptional capabilities in advanced manufacturing, engineering, design, research, robotics and professional services.
Victoria the place for space prospectus
Whether you're a student at a primary school in regional Australia, a miner at a remote mine site, an engineer using hightech machinery, a stevedore in one of Australia's busiest ports, or an astronaut on the International Space Station, chances are you are benefiting from Victoria's innovative space industry.
Victoria has the experience, the skills, and the industry capability to drive and realise the vision of Australia's new space agency, and we are excited by the opportunities that the establishment of the Australian Space Agency presents for Victoria and Australia.
- Victoria the place for space prospectus Victoria-the-place-for-space_prospectus_Aug18.pdf (PDF 17952.24 KB)
- Victoria the place for space prospectus Victoria the place for space prospectus (DOCX 48.37 KB)
For further information, visit the Lead Scientist's Strategic Plan.
Page last updated: 24 May 2019