Medical technologies and pharmaceuticals
State of the sector
Victoria has one of the world's largest life science clusters composed of the medical technology (medtech), biotechnology (biotech) and pharmaceutical industries. It is home to a vibrant commercial sector, key R&D infrastructure and advanced manufacturing expertise making it a highly sought after destination by global pharmaceutical companies.
The State of the Sector Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals 2017 report shows the sector is growing rapidly. The sector employs more than 23,000 people and is made up of more than 650 firms ranging in size from small start-ups to large Victorian exporters and global manufacturers. Revenue in the sector has quadrupled since 2003 to $12.7 billion and exports have doubled since 2011 to $1.3 billion.
With its companies connected to all major international markets, there is a lot of economic opportunity for Victorian companies to develop and manufacture new drugs, devices and digital health solutions that will shape the future of healthcare.
- The State of the Sector Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals 2017 report The State of the Sector Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals 2017 report (PDF 1873.01 KB)
- The State of the Sector Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals 2017 report - Word Version The State of the Sector Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals 2017 report (Word Version) (DOCX 6819.29 KB)
A variety of information sources were used to produce the State of the Sector Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals 2017 Report, including the Centre for Transformative Innovation (CTI) report.
The CTI at Swinburne University produced the report which analyses the impact of the medtech and pharmaceuticals sector on the Victorian economy.
The CTI report utilised a novel new methodology, drawing on de-identified firm-level financial data from Business Activity Statements (BAS) collected by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and made available by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).
- Economic Impact Analysis Victorian Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals Sector* Economic Impact Analysis Victorian Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals Sector (PDF 772.19 KB)
An accessible version of this document is currently not available. Work to create an accessible version may already be in progress or an accessible version can be provided on request. Please contact us if you need further information about this document.
The state's strengths include:
- Significant capabilities and supporting infrastructure for neuroscience, cancer, regenerative medicine, infectious diseases and immunology research.
- A strong global reputation in innovative and advanced manufacturing for pharmaceutical and medical technology products.
- Proven expertise in drug candidate development across many stages of the drug discovery process.
- A cost effective and rapid regulatory system for high quality clinical trials with access to leading clinical researchers and ethically-diverse participant recruitment pool.
The Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals Sector Strategy is available on Business Victoria's Future Industries page.
Page last updated: 19 October 2017