Ensuring sustainable hunting
There are several actions that will help ensure that hunting is sustainable.
Sustainable hunting relies on good science, research and sound game, conservation and land management.
The plan includes developing a sustainable hunting research strategy for Victoria in order to better inform decisions about the current status of game resources, sustainable harvest levels and the impact of hunting activity.
Improving habitat management in State Game Reserves will also be a priority, along with helping land managers to work with hunting organisations on integrated pest management and deer control programs.
A statewide deer management strategy will reduce the impact of deer on native biodiversity and their damage to property, while maintaining hunting opportunities.
Undertake research, monitoring and evaluation
- Joint review of the Waterfowl Conservation and Harvest Model has been undertaken in conjunction with NSW DPI.
- Research methodology in the movement and habitat use of Stubble Quail developed.
- Initial review of Blue-winged Shoveler as a game species.
- 2017 deer harvest report.
- The Victorian Game Hunting Licence holders survey, which focused on how hunters want to be communicated with and what game hunting topics are of importance to them.
- The following research was published by the GMA:
- Game Research Strategy.
- Study into the impacts of disturbance on game ducks and other waterbirds.
- Gamebird aging field guide.
- Implementation of movement and habitat use of Stubble Quail program.
- Outcomes of Hog deer distribution and abundance project.
- The GMA will conduct aerial surveys of game duck populations across Victoria in 2020. This is part of a pilot project to inform monitoring for the Adaptive Harvest Model. Read for more details about the monitoring program.
Improve State Game Reserve habitat
Lead: GMA and Parks Victoria
- An Audit of State Game Reserves completed by GMA and made available.
- Management principles to maintain quality habitats for hunting are complete.
- Demonstration sites to apply new management principles have been selected including Dowd Morass State Game Reserve, McDonalds Swamp State Game Reserve and Tang Tang Swamp State Game Reserve.
- Habitat improvement works have commenced on these sites and will continue in 2020-21.
Develop a deer management strategy
Lead: DJPR and DELWP
- The draft strategy was released for public consultation in October 2018.
- A new Victorian Deer Control Strategy was released in October 2020.
Improve control programs
Lead: Parks Victoria
- Funding of $300,000 over four years provided to the ADA to deliver control programs.
- Control programs were delivered with SSAA and ADA including:
- 12 projects with the ADA
- 30 projects with the SSAA.
Improve data collection
- Changes to method for hunter opening weekend bag surveys.
- GMA has refined the approach for annual harvest surveys for deer and game birds
- Survey of Game Licence holders to better understand demographics and communication needs
Support the National Hunting Archive
- Grant of $40,000 provided to the Wetlands Environmental Taskforce Trust to develop electronic catalogue system of historical information.
- Work to develop the catalogue database was delayed due to COVID-19 restrictions and is planned for completion in 2020
Page last updated: 26 November 2020