Timber Innovation Grants
The Victorian Forestry Plan has been developed to assist the industry as it manages its transition away from native timber harvesting.
The Victorian Timber Innovation Grants Program provides grants for native timber industry businesses to explore, invest and implement opportunities to support their transition under the Victorian Forestry Plan.
Applications for Round 2 are open now and will close at 11.59pm 30 June 2023.
To assist businesses directly affected by the Victorian Forestry Plan to:
- explore, investigate, and implement business transition opportunities
- undertake capital investment in business transition projects
- diversify and reorientate core business activities to support alternative employment opportunities
- develop and implement downstream manufacturing opportunities using alternative fibre
- invest in new opportunities to process or manufacture using plantation timber feedstock and/or alternative fibre.
The Victorian Timber Innovation Grants Program will provide grants of up to $1 million.
Grants over $1 million may be considered for projects that generate a significant number of jobs and local community benefit.
The Victorian Timber Innovation Grants Program requires a co-contribution by the applicant, the provision of cash and / or in-kind resources towards the project is outlined in the program guidelines.
Fair Jobs Code
The Victorian Government’s Fair Jobs Code comes into effect on 1 December 2022.
The Fair Jobs Code allows the Victorian Government to use its purchasing power to promote secure employment and fair labour standards and to ensure compliance with employment, workplace and industrial laws.
Grants of $500,000 and over (excluding GST) may need to comply with the Code – for more information please visit the Buying for Victoria website.
Who can apply
Applications for a Victorian Timber Innovation Grants Program grant are invited from businesses that:
- hold a current VicForests Timber Sale Agreement, or
- hold a Forest Produce Licence issued by VicForests, or
- are a timber harvest and / or haulage business with a current VicForests contract or agreement, or
- are a harvest and/or haulage sub-contractor to a business with a current VicForests harvest and/or haulage contract with at least 70 per cent of its annual revenue derived from the business with the VicForests contract, based on the 2020-21 financial year
- a seed collector with a contract with VicForests with at least 70 per cent of its annual revenue derived from the VicForests contract, based on the 2020-21 financial year
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- conduct business operations within Victoria
- meet all the industrial relations obligations as an employer in accordance with the National Employment Standards under the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth).
Eligible businesses are encouraged (not mandatory) to participate in the Forestry Business Transition Voucher Program to support their application.
Sawmill businesses participating in the Victorian Forestry Plan Opt-Out Scheme are eligible to submit an application to the Victorian Timber Innovation Grants Program.
Applicants are encouraged to speak with a Victorian Forestry Plan representative to discuss their eligibility.
How to apply
The Victorian Timber Innovation Grants Program Round Two will use a two-stage application and selection process:
- Stage one: Expression of Interest (EOI)
- Stage two: Grant Application
Eligible businesses are required to demonstrate the project’s ability to address each of the Timber Innovation Grants program core criteria as outlined in the guidelines.
Step 1: Prior to application
Prior to submitting an expression of interest form, applicants are advised to:
- to establish eligibility, please read the Application Guidelines:
- discuss the proposed project with a Victorian Forestry Plan representative by phone on 1800 318 182, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 2: Submit an Expression of Interest form
Applicants are to complete an Expression of Interest form including a short description of the project, its ability to support the business to transition away from a dependence on native timber supply and outcomes and benefits of the project.
All Expressions of Interest will be evaluated by a Departmental assessment panel against the eligibility criteria listed in 2.4 and the program objectives. Applicants should note that projects may not proceed to the formal application and assessment process where the project does not meet the objectives of the program.
Step 3: Prepare an application
If successful in the Expression of Interest stage, a Victorian Forestry Plan representative will email the application form link directly to the applicant.
Applicants have 30 days from the date of invitation to apply to prepare and submit an application Victorian Timber Innovation Grants Program.
Additional documentation to support the project such as previous research, feasibility studies, business cases, business plans, business transition plans, business diagnostic plans, project plans, project budgets, costs benefit analysis or letters of support should be attached to the application.
- Timber Innovation Grants Program Round 2 application guidelines VFP Timber Innovation Grants Program Round 2 (PDF 326.6 KB)
- Timber Innovation Grants Program Round 2 application guidelines VFP Timber Innovation Grants Program Round 2 Accessible (DOCX 65.79 KB)
- Project Plan Template Victorian Timber Innovation Grants - Project Plan Template (DOCX 44.71 KB)
- Project Risk Assessment Template Victorian Timber Innovation Grants - Project Risk Assessment Template (DOCX 44.27 KB)
For more information, visit Victorian Forestry Plan or contact us:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 1800 318 182
Page last updated: 25 October 2022