The department currently offers a number of employment programs to a wide range of people from diverse backgrounds.
Employment programs on offer include:
- Become an authorised officer
- Victorian Public Service (VPS) Recruitment and Development Scheme
- Science Graduate Program
- Youth Employment Scheme (YES) Trainee Program
- Jobs Victoria Youth Cadetship Scheme (YCS)
- VPSC Aboriginal Undergraduate Cadetship Program
- Stepping Into Program
Please direct all enquiries about these employment programs to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other career opportunities include:
Become an authorised officer
The department is looking for biosecurity and animal welfare officers across Victoria.
The department works with primary producers and industry to detect and prevent plant and animal pests and disease and to meet community expectations for safety, quality and ethical production.
- Work with primary producers and agricultural and horticultural professionals to promote biosecurity management practices.
- Work with primary producers to maintain and improve market access for agriculture and food exports.
- Work with Victorian land managers to promote sound land management practices.
- Conduct surveillance for plant and animal pests and disease.
- Regulate pest plants and animals, chemical use and animal cruelty and neglect.
- Participate in biosecurity emergency and natural disaster recovery responses.
If you have the passion and dedication to work with Victoria's land managers, primary producers, and agricultural and horticultural professionals then the department needs you.
Come along to an information session
Authorised officers in different roles will be on hand to answer your questions about working in Biosecurity and Agriculture Services followed by a tour of our facilities.
- 1.00PM – 2.30PM 20 November 2018 – 475-485 Mickleham Road, Attwood
- 1.00PM – 2.30PM 21 November 2018 – Epsom – Cnr Midland Highway & Taylor Street
- 1.00PM – 2.30PM 22 November 2018 – 475-485 Mickleham Road, Attwood
Contact Rachel Cairns on 03 8392 6884 about the information sessions.
Apply for these positions at Careers.Vic.
Victorian Public Service (VPS) Recruitment and Development Scheme
This is a 12-month, whole of Victorian Government development program administered by the Victorian Public Service Commission. Graduates will undertake three rotating placements of four months each and will be eligible for an ongoing position or promotion upon successful completion.
To find out more go to the Graduate website.
Science Graduate Program
The Science Graduate Program is an annual program run in partnership with the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP), and is open to recent graduates of science, agriculture and related disciplines.
Youth Employment Scheme (YES) Trainee Program
This program offers young Victorians aged 15 to 24 opportunities to undertake a traineeship in the Victorian Government. Through a mixture of structured training, provided by a group training organisation and on the job training, trainees will successfully complete certificate level qualifications.
To find out more go to the Youth Central website.
Jobs Victoria Youth Cadetship Scheme (YCS)
This scheme offers entry-level (VPSG-1) Victorian Public Service (VPS) positions to disadvantaged young people who have graduated from the YES Program. The two-year cadetships provide young people, without a university qualification, a pathway to a meaningful public service career.
To find out more go to the Jobs Victoria website.
VPSC Aboriginal Undergraduate Cadetship Program
After its first intake in February 2017, the Aboriginal Undergraduate Cadetship Program will provide work experience to 2nd and 3rd year Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander university students who are undertaking their first undergraduate degree.
The cadetship will be a development position which provides 12 weeks of paid work experience at a VPS Grade 1.4 salary. It will also provide access to mentors, senior Aboriginal employees and Aboriginal alumni, direct entry option to the interview stage of the VPS GRADS upon successful completion and an ongoing employment commitment.
To find out more go to the Victorian Public Sector Commission website.
Stepping Into Program
This is a paid internship program designed specifically for university students with a disability.
With the success of the pilot program in 2017, the department is to further engage students for placement over the 2018 winter university semester break. Interns are to be placed in People and Workplace Services, Emergency Management and in the Services Centre.
To find out more go to the Australian Network on Disability website.
Page last updated: 21 January 2019